Ask The SEO

How To Dramatically Increase the Value of Your Tweets

Here’s a simple tactic that I don’t see used very often in the florist industry, even though it results in claiming a big chunk of the Google search results. Even better, it leverages some work that you’re probably doing already!

Google has a special feature in its results page called the Twitter Carousel. Simply put, if Google thinks your Twitter account is useful enough and relevant to the search query, you can get a big piece of on-screen real estate filled with your content.

Challies_twitter_carousel

Since you’re probably already on Twitter, and your tweet content features messages you want to share with potential or current clients, this approach will let you exponentially increase the exposure of your Twitter work. It’s estimated that Twitter reaches almost 35% of Internet users — and now you have the opportunity not only to reach the Twitter users who don’t normally see your tweets, but also to expose your messages to the other 65% of people who are non-Twitterers.

Here’s our three-step plan for enticing Google to give you your own Twitter Carousel.

Other Popular Posts

1) TWEET FREQUENTLY & CONSISTENTLY

You’re already posting on Twitter, right? You might just need to step up your game. Tweet regularly, aiming for three to five times per day, each day. That might seem like it will suck up a lot of time, but keep in mind that you can schedule tweets in advance, and it’s acceptable to occasionally repeat a tweet because of the real-time nature of Twitter’s feed. For example, if you publish a new blog post you can tweet about it right away, and then again later that day to reach different segments of your audience. (Think of your local news station, which often runs the same stories at say, 6, 7, 8, and 9 a.m.) A post published on Monday morning could get an immediate tweet, another mid-afternoon, and then a third “in case you missed it” message on Thursday. If your blog content is good, don’t be shy about sharing it.

2) ENGAGEMENT IS KEY

Twitter accounts that earn carousels usually have moderate or high levels of engagement. This will typically require having a few hundred followers (don’t worry if you aren’t there yet, just keep working), and posting some content that has a high probability of attracting likes, comments, and retweets. Quotes, funny images or GIFs, and random but interesting thoughts are all standard fare for seeking engagement. You may also want to take a well-thought-out dabble in interacting with current affairs. Even if people don’t like what you said, their comments still count as engagement; you might even have some of your fans come to your defence!

Interacting with other Twitter accounts is another way to build Twitter loyalty and engagement. Cheer on your local team, celebrate wins or great plays, promote local cause-based events, and talk up other businesses. People love this stuff! Recent studies tell us that 87% of consumers are drawn to brands that share their values and show them loyalty.

3) FIGURE OUT WHAT WORKS. DO IT AGAIN.

What tweets get the most interaction? Do quote pics get the most retweets? Do current event comments draw the most replies? There’s no standard formula, so you need to review your own tweets for the answers.

BONUS TIP #1: LINKS COUNT!
Each tweet is its own web page. That means you can build links to high-value tweets, increasing the chance that Google will consider it to be valuable. You can build links by embedding the tweet in pages you own, linking
to it from your website or blog, and by soliciting (but never buying!) links from third-party sites.

Individual_Tweet

BONUS TIP #2: EMOJIS! (IN MODERATION)
Emojis are eye-catching, and creative use of these icons can convey some interesting messages. Even Twitter’s blog (http://cfmag.pub/ twitteremojis) has some great tips and examples on how you can use emojis to attract attention and engagement.

theRKF on EmailtheRKF on LinkedintheRKF on Twitter
theRKF
Publisher at Canadian Florist
Ryan Freeman is the Publisher of Canadian Florist, 5th generation florist, and President of Strider Online Marketing. He has been engaged in web design and online marketing since 1994.
Share:
0

Your Cart